Saint Ann Catholic School
Believe. Achieve. Inspire.
This is more than a simple motto at Saint Ann Catholic School – these three words are the guiding principles of our school, our students and our faculty. Saint Ann Catholic School is unique in many ways: we are a small and supportive school, with an average of 20 to 25 students per class. Our small size allows us to focus on academic excellence, but also on the moral formation of our students. Our students are a family; they protect and care for each other. Our students are expected to follow the example of Christ in all that they do — and they are led in their efforts through the example of the faculty and staff.
The Saint Ann Catholic School family believes, achieves, and inspires. We believe
in the Gospel teachings of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Redeemer. We achieve
personal excellence in an academic community that strengthens and nurtures
mind, body, and soul. We inspire one another to glorify God by embracing His call
to love and serve.
Saint Ann Catholic School embraces the Gospel of Jesus Christ, our Master Teacher, and recognizes that everyone is created uniquely in the image and likeness of God. We believe that the development of our God-given talents and abilities is a lifelong journey of learning. We believe students achieve best in a loving and nurturing environment where everyone works together to encourage and inspire students to persevere. We realize that learning takes trial, error, reflection, and the opportunity to use their skills to do God’s will in the world.
Saint Ann Catholic School has its roots within a group of determined parish community members. The Diocese of Richmond purchased the present property, now occupied by the Saint Ann Parish facilities, prior to 1946. Formal recognition for the foundation of the parish came on September 25, 1947. There was evidence of much effort by the community to build the concept of Saint Ann Parish into a reality. The cornerstone of Saint Ann Catholic School was laid on June 27, 1948.
Large numbers of young families settled in the North Arlington area by 1947. The 400 families of the new Saint Ann Parish included many young children. There was much interest among the parents in building a parish school. Their enthusiasm, however, never overshadowed the priority for the construction of a church as the center of Christian life.
Saint Ann School opened its doors to about 300 children in grades one through four in September 1951. Its eight classrooms were filled to capacity in less than two years, necessitating the construction of a four-room addition in 1954 to accommodate over 700 students. By 1960, the complete three-part main structure and separate Kindergarten building were used to educate over l,000 children. Support of this ambitious educational effort required the total dedication of the 1,200 families of Saint Ann Parish.
Saint Ann parents and educators were quick to utilize newly available resources to provide an ever progressing quality of education while seeking to develop individuals who were able to use their skills and creativity in the light of Christian principles. When the State of Virginia first accredited elementary schools in 1971, St. Ann School was among the first group so recognized.
Saint Ann Catholic School is accredited by the Virginia Catholic Education Association (VCEA) whose accreditation process has been approved by the Virginia Council for Private Education Committee on Accreditation as authorized by the Virginia State Board of Education.