School Nurse News

The clinic is staffed 10:00-2:00 pm M-F, while school is in session. E-mail is checked daily during the above hours. For time sensitive questions or concerns outside of regular hours, contact the school office.


When should I keep my child home from school?

If your child has a temperature greater than 100° F, please keep them home from school. Students should be free of fever for 24 hours without medication. If your child develops a fever greater than 100° during the day we will call you to arrange pickup.

Can my child take medications at school?

If your child needs medication please ask their health care provider to space the doses around the school day. If a dose at school is needed on an ongoing basis, please have your HCP complete the medication authorization form (see “Forms” tab under “Families”). The Parent Information about Medication Procedures can also be found there. Please note, parents must bring the medication to the office and medications must be in the original container. Parents can authorize prescription medication and over the counter medications consecutively for 3 days, more than that requires authorization from a HCP.

Are medications allowed in classrooms?

No medications are allowed in the classrooms. This includes cough drops—which are a choking hazard.

Can my doctor excuse my child from PE?

When a student needs to be excused from PE or recess for a health concern, the HCP writes a note on a prescription pad and states the time frame for the restriction.

Are lice a problem?

Occasionally, we hear that a particular student has lice. The risk of transmission of lice is low during the school day. If we find a recurrent problem in a certain grade, students may be checked for lice in that class. We will send a note to parents if lice is reported or found.  Please see our lice handout on the Resources page for more information about what you can do to avoid lice and treatment options.

How do you handle food allergies?

We have several students with life threatening allergies.  Our goal is to educate both children and staff to be aware of their environment and to take necessary precautions to avoid an allergic reaction.  We make lists by grade and by households. Room mothers are alerted as to the allergies of the class—so they can remind parents of allergies of the class when planning class activities.

Please do not send in any items with peanuts, tree nuts or sesame for parties, bake sales or class activities. Please notify your child’s teacher when bringing in food. Children who consume peanut butter during lunch or snack must wash their hands with soap and water after they finish; and wash the table as well. Remind your child not to share or trade food.

The health care provider completes the Allergy Action Plan and orders medication using the appropriate form. Parents bring the forms and medications to school. We keep EpiPens in the clinic and check them out for field trips. EpiPens are not provided for after school activities.

What are the health requirements for kindergarten entry or for students transferring from another state or country?

The VA School Entrance Health form must be completed; within the past year. Page 1 is completed by the parent. Page 2 & 3 are the immunization history. Page 4 is the physical which must include vision, hearing, TB risk assessment and be signed by the doctor. The Immunization History (signed by doctor) must include 5 DTap*, 4 IPV*, 3 Hepatitis B, 2 MMR & 2 Varicellas. (* indicates one must be after 4 yrs of age).

What are health requirements for new students entering from a VA school?

The health records will transfer over from the previous school. We will review them and contact the parents when we have questions. Please complete the Confidential Health Update so we can have current health information about your child and up to date contact information for both parents.

Do 6th graders require a new immunization?

6th graders must have a Tdap prior to the start of the school year. Tdap boosts Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis protection as the immunity of the childhood immunizations wanes in 10 years. Updated immunization histories for 6th graders are requested by August 1.

How will I know when my child comes to the clinic?

We will email you when your child comes to the clinic and then returns to class. We will call you if your child needs to come home.

My child has asthma and requires an inhaler. Do you need anything with the inhaler?

There is an inhaler authorization form and an asthma action plan. See the link to the medical forms on the Resources page.  Both are completed by your HCP with sections for parents to complete.

My child has diabetes. What do you need from me?

There is a Diabetes Management Plan which details the contact information and the doctor’s orders. You provide the medical supplies, such as testing equipment and insulin and the snacks. Both nurses meet with the parent(s) and the teacher, and plan how to manage your child safely at school.

How do you handle students who bump their heads?

We use the concussion checklist to evaluate students who bump their heads (see concussion checklist in Resources). We call or email parents as the situation warrants. Rarely concussions develop over 48 hours—so parents need to know about the head bump in order to monitor their child.  All students who bump their heads need to have a quiet evening (no sports or dance classes).



Comments are closed.