Mission and History
Believe. Achieve. Inspire.
These three words are the pillars of our school’s philosophy.
- Believe. We focus on the moral formation of our students. Our students are expected to follow the example of Christ in all that they do — and they are led in their efforts through the example of the faculty and staff.
- Achieve. With small classes of 20 – 25, we are able to focus on academic excellence. Our students go on to the area’s top Catholic High Schools and many receive awards and recognitions for their academic pursuits.
- Inspire. Our students are a family; they protect and care for one another. This nurturing environment fosters confidence and the ability to achieve class and individual goals. You won’t believe what students from our small and mighty school go on to do after they leave Saint Ann’s – rocket scientists, doctors, lawyers, engineers, computer scientists, foreign service officers, accountants, teachers and the list goes on and on . . .
Our Mission and Philosophy
The Saint Ann Catholic School family believes, achieves and inspires. We believe in the Gospel teachings of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Redeemer. We achieve personal excellence in an academic community that nurtures mind, body and soul. We inspire one another to glorify God by embracing his call to love and serve.
We believe that developing our God-given talents is a lifelong journey of learning. We believe students achieve best in a loving and nurturing environment, where everyone works together to encourage and inspire students to persevere. We realize that learning takes trial, error, reflection, and the opportunity to use their skills to do God’s will in the world.
Our History – 70 Years of Tradition
- Saint Ann Catholic School was founded by determined parishioners during an important time in Arlington County history. During the post-war expansion of Arlington County, along with the opening of the Pentagon, many young families settled in Arlington.
- By 1947, Saint Ann Parish had 400 families with many young children and the desire for a parish school was born. After much prayer and perseverance, the cornerstone of Saint Ann Catholic School was laid on June 27, 1948.
- In September, 1951, the school opened its doors to 300 children in grades 1 – 4 and was filled to capacity in under two years. In 1954, an addition was added to the school to accommodate its 700 students.
- In 1960, the school completed the three-part main structure and separate kindergarten building to educate over 1000 families.
- Saint Ann parents and educators demanded and delivered quality education rooted in Christian principles. Saint Ann was among the first schools to be recognized when the Commonwealth began accrediting elementary schools in 1971, and continues to be accredited by the Virginia Catholic Education Association (VCEA).
- Inspired by the post-war pioneers who built Arlington as we know it today, Saint Ann Catholic School continues to honor our rich tradition and strong educational principles.