Saint Ann Catholic School

Saint Ann Catholic School

A National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence

School Nurse FAQ’s & Forms

The clinic is staffed 10:00 am – 2:00 pm M – F, while school is in session. E-mail is checked daily during the above hours. For time sensitive questions or concerns outside of regular hours, contact the school office. Please, scroll down to find all school medical forms.


When should I keep my child home from school?

-If she/he has a temperature greater than 100° F.
-Students should be free of fever for 24 hours without medication before returning to school.
-We will call you to arrange for pick up if your child develops a temperature greater than 100°F at school.

Can my child take medications at school?

-If your child needs medication, please ask your health care provider to space the doses around the school day. If a dose at school is needed on an ongoing basis, please have your HCP complete the medication authorization form (see “Forms” tab under “Families”). The parent information about medication procedures can also be found there.
-Please note, parents must bring the medication to the office and medications must be in the original container.
-Parents can authorize prescription medication and over the counter medications consecutively for 3 days. More than that requires authorization from a HCP.

Are medications allowed in classrooms?

-No medications are allowed, including cough drops — which are a choking hazard.

Can my doctor excuse my child from PE/recess?

-Yes, we require a doctor’s note sent to the main office with the time frame for the restriction.

Are lice a problem?

-Occasionally, it is reported or we discover lice on a student. The risk of transmission of lice is low during the school day. We will send a note to parents if lice is reported or found.  Please see our lice handout on the resources page for more information about what you can do to avoid lice and treatment options.

How do you handle food allergies?

-We have several students with life threatening allergies.  Our goal is to educate students and staff to be aware of their environment and to take necessary precautions to avoid allergic reactions.  Lists of allergic students, by grade, are distributed to all teachers. Room mothers are alerted to allergies of respective classes — so they can remind parents when planning class activities.

– Students are encouraged to consider alternatives to sweet treats for birthdays. Please notify your child’s teacher when bringing in food. Please do not send in any items with peanuts, tree nuts or sesame for parties, bake sales or class activities. Children who consume peanut butter during lunch or snack must wash their hands with soap and water after they finish, and wash the table as well. Remind your child not to share or trade food.

-The health care provider completes the Allergy Action Plan and orders medication using the appropriate Diocesan form. Parents bring the forms and medications to school. We keep EpiPens in the clinic and check them out to teachers for field trips. EpiPens are not provided for after school activities.

What are the health requirements for kindergarten entry or for students transferring from another state or country?

-Submit a completed VA School Entrance Health form, signed by the HCP and dated no more than 12 months prior to school entry.
-Parents complete Page 1.
-Your HCP completes and signs Pages 2-4. Page 4, the physical, must include vision, hearing, and TB risk assessment. The immunization history must include 5 DTap*, 4 IPV*, 3 Hepatitis B, 2 Hepatitis A, 2 MMR and 2 Varicella. (* indicates one must be after 4 yrs of age).

What are health requirements for new students entering from a VA school?

-Health records will transfer over from the previous school. We will review them and contact the parents when we have questions.
-Complete the Confidential Health Update form so we have current health information about your child and up to date contact information for both parents.

Do 7th graders require a new immunization?

-Rising 7th graders must have a Tdap booster and the first dose of Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine (MenACWY, MCV4 or Men B) prior to the start of the school year.
-Please submit proof by August 1.
-Consider giving your child the optional HPV vaccine at this time as well.

How will I know when my child comes to the clinic?

-We will email/call you when your child comes to the clinic and is able to return to class. We will call you if your child needs to come home.

My child has asthma and requires an inhaler. What are the school requirements?

-Submit a completed Inhaler Authorization form and an Asthma Action Plan, signed by your HCP. See the link to the medical forms on the resources page.  Make sure to complete and sign the parent’s sections.

My child has diabetes. What are the school requirements?

-The Diabetes Management Plan, found under Forms, must be completed by your HCP. You provide the medical supplies, such as testing equipment, insulin and any snacks. Both nurses meet with the parent(s) and the teacher to plan how to manage your child safely at school.

How do you manage students who bump their heads/head injuries?

– We assess students using the concussion checklist (see Resources). We will call or email parents with details of the situation and with guidelines as to monitoring their child, as concussions can develop over 48 hours.
-All students who have a head bump need to have a quiet evening, no sports or other physical activity and limit screens.